Medical Administration: Level 2 Intermediate Apprenticeship
Subject: Medical Administration
Please note that to undertake this apprenticeship you must be already employed within a suitable role.
This qualification was developed by City & Guilds in partnership with the Association of Medical Secretaries, Practice Managers, Administrators and Receptionists (AMSPAR) and is ideal if you are working in healthcare setting looking to gain an administrative qualification that is specifically designed for those working in a medical environment.
As a medical administration apprentice, you will be employed in a health administration role gaining vital practical skills and experience, and earning a wage alongside studying your formal apprenticeship qualification. At level two, you will develop solid communication and administration skills and learn medical terminology to help you in your role.
As this apprenticeship is work-based, you may apply to start at any time of the year and will not be required to attend College for tuition. You will be allocated a Work-based Learning Assessor who will support you through your qualification via email and telephone contact and regular visits to your place of work.
- Attendance: As this qualification is work-based no college attendance is required. It is required that 20% of working time is spent studying ‘off-the-job’ activities.
- Duration: 14-18 months
- Start date: Any time during the year.
- Location: Your organisation must be within a 90 minute radius of Huntingdon (Cambridgeshire). However if your business is located outside of this area, please contact us as we may be able to meet your training needs.
Ideally you will hold a minimum of four GCSEs from A*-C/9-4. However you must be living and working in England in a suitable role within a 90 minute radius of our Huntingdon centre and you cannot already hold a Level 2 (or above) qualification in a similar subject).
For the apprenticeship to be completed within 14-18 months you must be working a minimum of 30 hours per week. If you are employed for fewer hours then the length of the apprenticeship will be proportionately extended.
This apprenticeship consists of:
- City & Guilds Level 2 Diploma in Medical Administration
- Functional Skills Level 1 in Maths, English and ICT
- Personal Learning and Thinking Skills
- CFA Employment Rights and Responsibilities Workbook
The qualification consists of both mandatory and option units which all the qualification to be tailored to the needs of the organisation. Units undertaken will be discussed at induction to ensure they are the best fit.
- Manage personal and professional development
- Develop working relationships with colleagues
- Medical terminology
- Administration skills in a medical environment
- Communication skills in a medical environment
- Working in the National Health Service
- Medical principles for the administrator
Optional units include:
- Medical word processing
- Spreadsheet software
- Manage diary systems
- Employee rights and responsibilities
- Produce business documents
- Produce minutes of meetings
- Prepare text from recorded audio instruction
Level 1 Functional Skills in English and Maths will also be undertaken unless exempt.
Course assessment consists of completing work-based assignments and online assessments.
Functional Skills are also assessed via online examinations and practical assessments.
Apprenticeship course fees are payable by the employer.
Fees are dependent upon the size of the organisation you are employed in as this will impact if your employer is a levy payer, or a non-levy payer.
If you have not achieved your qualification by the planned end date your employer will be able to pay monthly direct debit payments to allow you to continue to receive support and access to your course until certification of your award.
Course fees for Apprenticeship Levy Payers
Course fees are made up of two parts; a digital account payment and college course fees, as below:
Digital account payment – £1,500
College course fees:
|£1,695||£846.79 per year||£282 every three months||£94 per month|
Course fees for Non-Levy Payers
Course fees for Non-Levy Payers are paid via co-investment with the government, meaning that the government provide some funding towards course fees. The additional fees that you will be required to pay are as follows:
|£1,244||£612 per year||£208 every three months||£70 per month|
Awarding Body Fees*
City & Guilds registration and certificate fees: £123.80
* Awarding Body Fees are payable by all employers and recharged at cost and may be subject to change.
Before making any financial decision it is recommended that you seek advice from an independent source, for example the Money Advice Service.
These are current figures and may be subject to change. The differences in course fees reflect the level of funding that is available as a result of government policies and priorities. These may be as a result of age, employment status, previous education achievements, or location for example, and are outside the control of CAW Business School.
On completion of your apprenticeship you will have gained the confidence, practical skills and abilities to provide solid administrative support to your organisation. You may decide to look at studying to the next level by undertaking the Business Administrator: Level 3 Apprenticeship (Medical Pathway).
Learners who successfully complete an AMSPAR recognised qualification are eligible to apply to become members of AMSPAR and use post-nominal letters.
After you complete your studies with CAW Business School, you will be invited to join our alumni association, CAW Connect. CAW Connect is a social networking website and education hub which gives you the opportunity to connect with other alumni, enjoy industry discounts, make use of exclusive careers advice and resources, find new job opportunities and keep up-to-date with the latest industry news. Find out more about CAW Connect
What our Business School students say:
“I have enjoyed learning new skills and applying some of these to my current job”
“The tutors are very helpful and supportive and provide me with regular reviews on my progress”
“The course fits around my everyday work making this easy to complete”
“The tutors are extremely helpful and always manage to find time to provide support and answer any queries”
Business and Administration vacancies in the South East
- Business Administration Apprentice
- Service and Stock Control Administration Apprentice
- Allport Cargo Services - General Office Administrator (Apprentice)
- JCK - Commercial Assistant / Business and Administration Apprenticeship
- Business Administration Apprentice