Functional Skills are ideal if you wish to get ahead and up skill for progression in the workplace or prior to enrolling onto a higher level programme. Over the course of this qualification you will learn practical mathematics skills required in everyday life, education and work.
- Attendance: You will not attend College for tuition, instead you will work through the course materials on your own with telephone and email support from an allocated Distance Learning Tutor. All resources, support and assessment will be provided online via our Virtual Learning Environment (VLE). You will, however, be required to attend a CAW centre to complete the online examination. It may be possible in some instances, depending on your circumstances and the availability of an external centre, to undertake the examination at an external City & Guilds exam centre. In such cases where this is possible additional exam fees may be incurred.
- Duration: Six months
- Start Date: You may start this programme at any time during the year.
- Location: This online distance learning course can be studied anywhere in the UK.
This Functional Skills Maths qualification assesses three interrelated process skills:
- Understand routine and non-routine problems in familiar and unfamiliar contexts and situations
- Identify the situation or problems and identify the mathematical methods needed to solve them
- Choose from a range of mathematics to find solutions
- Apply a range of mathematics to find solutions
- Use appropriate checking procedures and evaluate their effectiveness at each stage
- Interpret and communicate solutions to multi-stage practical problems in familiar and unfamiliar contexts and situations
- Draw conclusions and provide mathematical justifications
You will undertake written assessments and pass an online examination. You will be required to attend a City & Guilds examination centre to complete the online examination; this can be arranged near to your home where possible.
There are no formal academic entry requirements.
Course fees can either be paid in full before the beginning of the course, or via our ‘Pay As You Learn’ monthly payment scheme
If you have not achieved your qualification by the planned end date detailed in your individual learning plan, you will be able to continue to receive support and access to your course by paying monthly direct debit payments until certification of your award.
|Full Fee||Pay As You Learn|
|£378||£63 per month|
Awarding Body Fees*
City & Guilds fees: £29
* Awarding Body Fees are payable by all students or employers and recharged at cost and may be subject to change.
Sources of financial help can be found on our student finance page. Before making any financial decision it is recommended that you seek advice from an independent source, for example the Money Advice Service.
These are current figures and may be subject to change. The differences in course fees reflect the level of funding that is available as a result of government policies and priorities. These may be as a result of age, employment status, previous education achievements, or location for example, and are outside the control of the College.
Achieving this qualification will increase your confidence and practical skills, which will be valuable in the workplace or in any further learning.
Professionally, undertaking a qualification that demonstrates functional skills to employers can give you a competitive edge in the jobs market, meaning that more jobs and opportunities for promotion may become available to you.
Functional Skills form a vital part of all apprenticeship frameworks in England and can, in some cases, can be used to aid enrolment onto higher level programmes of study. You may also wish to undertake the Functional Skills English level 2 qualification.