Emotional Intelligence: Why is this important?
Posted: 22 June 2015 at 9:19 am | Author: Laura Morris
Many people are now familiar with the concept of Emotional Intelligence (EQ). It is in essence the ability to understand your own emotions as well as the emotions of others and to use this ability to develop successful relationships.
EQ comprises of 4 key areas:
- Self Awareness – recognising your own emotions
- Self Management – controlling and adapting your own emotions
- Social Awareness – understanding the emotional needs of others
- Relationship Management – responding to other emotional needs appropriately
Having a high EQ has been linked to improved leadership with those who are higher in EQ developing stronger teams and being able to communicate more effectively with others (Mayer and Caruso, 2002).
By having a high EQ you will be better able to understand yourself and what your own needs are to have a positive emotional state. This will enable you to motivate yourself more successfully to increase your achievements.
You will also be able to work better with others due to your elevated communication and understanding of how to inspire those around you.
So, on the flip side of the coin, what can happen if you have a low EQ? There is the possibility someone will be unable to listen to critical feedback and display tendencies for passive-aggressive communication. The likelihood is they may be quick to blame someone else for errors and struggle to take responsibility for their own actions.
The good news is there are a few tips you can try to improve your EQ and be a more effective leader:
- Slow down and make the effort to evaluate the situation and examine why you are experiencing the current emotion
- Hold yourself accountable, this will also help to earn the respect of those around you
- Take the time to view the situation from other peoples perspective and address the feelings that others display appropriately
- Practice being calm, and find an alternative way to cope with any negative emotions
It is important if you want to be a successful leader that you are aware of Emotional Intelligence and certainly try to improve your own EQ ability wherever possible.
Want to know more about managing your team effectively? Check out CAW Business ILM accredited Leadership and Management Courses or call 01480 422060 for more information.
- Huge reduction in cost for the new Level 2 Accounts/Finance Assistant Apprenticeship Standard – Available Now!