Student Fees and Finance

Course fees

CAW Business School offers a variety of ways to pay for course fees, details can be found on each course page.

Find out more about our Pay As You Learn scheme.


Advanced Learner Loans

If you are 19 years of age or older you may be eligible to apply for an Advanced Learner Loan. It is easy to apply; there is no credit check and your household income isn’t taken into account, and what’s more, you won’t have to pay anything back until you earn over £25,000 a year!

Find out more

Please note, if you are aged 24 or older, have already applied for a 24+ Learning Loan and are starting a course before 1 August 2016, the new changes will not affect you.

CAW Loans2Learn

The CAW Loans2Learn scheme is a personal loan that can help you to spread the cost of your course into manageable payments. The loan can be used to fully or partially cover your course fees (but does not cover any awarding body fees, such as enrolment and examination fees). The loan works in a similar way to a bank loan, and it is not provided from the ESFA or any other government department, and is not related to any student finance. Please contact us for more information.

Grants, bursaries and additional help

Students are encouraged to explore the opportunities for sourcing additional financial assistance to support their training costs.

To help you, we have gathered information on various grants, bursaries and additional funding information via the link below – however this list is not exhaustive. We recommend that you take the time to have a look through and consider if any of these sites are applicable to your situation. It could be of benefit to you.

Grants, Bursaries & Additional Funding Information

Advanced Learner Loan Bursary Fund

If you are over 19 years of age and in receipt of an Advanced Learning Loan and find yourself in financial hardship you can apply to The College of Animal Welfare Advanced Learning Loans Bursary Fund (funded by the Government) for financial assistance.

Applications can be made for support in the following areas:

  • Hardship situations
  • Childcare
  • Providing additional support with your learning
  • Making necessary adjustments under the Equality Act 2010 e.g. Getting or changing equipment
  • ex-military personnel

For further information, please see our guidance on how to apply for the Advanced Learning Loans Bursary Fund. You can download an application form here.

TOTUM Card (previously NUS Extra)

With an average saving of over £500, the TOTUM card is the smart way to save on your purchases. You can save on:

  • Fashion
  • Music, Films & Gaming
  • Books & Stationery
  • Health & Beauty 
  • Accommodation & Travel
  • Technology & Gadgets
  • Tickets 
  • Food & Drink

Please note the offers/discounts available are not fixed and may vary or be withdrawn at any time.

To apply you must be studying on a full or part time course.

Please telephone 01480 275500 to find out if you are eligible to apply for a TOTUM Card and to receive a voucher code needed to apply.  You can then click here to start your application!

Help with transport costs

Concessionary bus passes

You may be able to get a concessionary bus pass depending on where you live and what your operator offers. This really depends on the area in which you are travelling so we suggest you contact your local bus operator or council for see if there is anything available.

16-25 Railcard

You could save up to a third on train fares across the UK! Find out more.

Help with childcare costs

Work Preparation Support for Carers

If you are over 18 years of age and are thinking about undertaking a training course, you may be eligible for help with childcare costs through the Work Preparation Support for Carers scheme. This support can be accessed through Jobcentre Plus or other employment support services.

Your training course can be up to a level 3 qualification and should improve your chances of finding employment. You should speak to your employment advisor before applying for a place on a course.

For further information please contact your local Jobcentre Plus.

Care to Learn

This scheme can help by paying for childcare costs while you learn. Eligible for those under 20, the Care to Learn funding could pay up to £160 per child per week (up to £175 for those living in London). To access such funding you must also be living and learning in England, caring for your own child or children, be either a British citizen or a national of another country within the European Economic Area (EEA).

Apprentices receiving a wage cannot receive Care to Learn, however there are alternative schemes that can help with childcare costs, such as those through the Tax Credit system.

More information can be found here.

Childcare Grant

If you are a full-time undergraduate student with dependent children aged under 15 (under 17 if they have special educational needs), are a British or EU citizen and you pay for registered childcare, you may be eligible for the Childcare Grant.

It is paid in three termly instalments directly into your bank account. The grant can pay up to 85 per cent of your registered childcare costs for 52 weeks per year. The maximum you can be awarded is £148.75 per week for 1 child and £255 per week for 2 or more children.

This grant is not taken into account when calculating income for benefit purposes. However, you cannot get this grant if you or your partner claims the childcare element of Working Tax Credit.

More information can be found here.

Parents’ Learning Allowance

If you are a full-time undergraduate student from England with dependent children you could be eligible to apply for Parents’ Learning Allowance. You could receive between £50 and £1,508 a year to help with learning costs such as books, study materials and travel. It can be claimed in addition to the Childcare Grant. It is paid in three termly instalments directly into your bank account and does not need to be repaid.

More information can be found here.

Discretionary Learner Support

If you are 20 years of age or over, on a further education course (not apprenticeship or work-based learning course) and facing financial hardship you get help with your childcare costs through Discretionary Learner Support (DLS).

You should apply to your learning provider (college) who will decide how much money you will get depending on their scheme and your circumstances.

The money could be either a direct payment which you do not have to pay back, a loan which you have to pay back or paid to someone else (e.g. childcare provider).

More information can be found here.

Disabled Students’ Allowances

A quick guide to Disabled Student Allowances (DSAs), for Higher Education students only, can be found here.

Cookie Consent

This site uses cookies and HTML5 local storage, to help improve our service to you.

Click 'Accept' to continue with these settings or 'Read more' to amend your local data preferences.

I'm fine with this Just give me live chat Find our more / turn off