Enter your email address to download a prospectus
Awarded by the Association of Accounting Technicians (AAT), the AAT Level 2 Foundation Certificate in Accounting is the foundation level of the internationally recognised AAT qualification.
If you are new to finance or want to expand your existing knowledge and skills, this qualification could be the ideal course for you. You will learn a range of basic accounting principles and techniques, from costing and double-entry bookkeeping to computerised accounting.
The AAT qualification is respected by employers around the world, providing you with excellent career prospects.
- Attendance: Half Day Release (Wednesday mornings: 9.15am-1pm) or Evening course (Thursday evenings: 5.30pm-8.30pm).
- Duration: Nine months
- Start date: Week commencing 10 September 2018
- Location: Godmanchester, Huntingdon (Cambridgeshire)
Membership of AAT
As a student on this programme you will need to register as a student member with the AAT. You can register online at www.aat.org.uk. Your AAT membership will give you access to extensive e-learning resources, forums, networking opportunities and practice assessments.
This course offers a combination of classroom lessons, regular tutorial support and online study.
You will look at the following five units:
- Principles and procedures related to processing business transactions, financial documents and payments for customers and suppliers.
- Developing skills in processing ledger transactions and preparing an initial trial balance.
- Maintenance and reconciliation of a cash book by accurately entering receipts and payments, balancing and reconciling with bank statements.
- Knowledge and understanding of the UK banking system and related organisational activities.
- Petty cash transactions and the importance of the Journal as a primary accounting record.
- Maintaining control over debtors and creditors, aided by preparation and use of debtor and creditor control accounts.
- Non-standard bookkeeping transactions and double-entry bookkeeping records.
Work Effectively in Finance
- Developing transferable skills and effective working in an accounting environment.
- Teamwork skills and the ability to work independently.
- Demonstrating workplace-ready standards of literacy and numeracy.
Elements of Costing
- Cost recording systems within an organisation and how best to respond to requests for information relating to costs and expenditure.
- Recording and extracting information, and using a costing system to provide information for management.
Using Accounting Software
- Selecting and using computerised accounting or bookkeeping software to input and process data for orders, invoices, receipts and payments.
- Preparing management and period-end reports.
You will undertake computer based exams or projects. As an AAT accredited exam centre you will be able to take your exams at College without the need to travel to an external exam centre.
There are no formal academic entry requirements to undertake this programme, however you should be competent in basic maths and English.
Course fees can either be paid in full before the beginning of the course, or via our ‘Pay As You Learn’ monthly payment scheme
If you have not achieved your qualification by the planned end date detailed in your individual learning plan, you will be able to continue to receive support and access to your course by paying monthly direct debit payments until certification of your award.
|Full Fee||Pay As You Learn|
|£1,049||£117 per month|
Awarding Body Fees*
You will also be required to pay AAT membership, exam fees (approximately £205*) and textbooks.
* Awarding Body Fees are payable by all students or employers and recharged at cost and may be subject to change.
Sources of financial help can be found on our student finance page. Before making any financial decision it is recommended that you seek advice from an independent source, for example the Money Advice Service.
These are current figures and may be subject to change. The differences in course fees reflect the level of funding that is available as a result of government policies and priorities. These may be as a result of age, employment status, previous education achievements, or location for example, and are outside the control of CAW Business School.
After completing this qualification, you will have the opportunity to apply for the AAT Level 3 Advanced Diploma in Accounting course.
The Level 2 AAT qualification will allow you to work in a variety of roles, such as:
- Purchase Ledger Clerk
- Accounts Administrator
What our AAT students say…
We asked our students what aspects of their course they have most enjoyed. Here are some of the things they had to say!
- “Learning new skills, socialising with people within a similar field of work and with similar goals”
- “I have really enjoyed the classes and follow up activities for homework. The resources are very good”
- “Manageable sections. Broken down so not overloaded with information”
- “Good tutor making a hard subject easy to understand with good examples”