Register your details to receive updates from the School of Business and Management
- Attendance: Two study weekends at Huntingdon (June and November) plus online learning. You will also have the option to attend two further study weekends in March and September if required. Additional support via assessor visits to your workplace will be discussed on an individual basis.
- Duration: 18 months (20% of your time must be spent studying off the job).
- Start Date: Start at any time.
- Location: England.
- Non-apprenticeship Level 3 Leadership and Management training is also available.
As a Team Leader you will be responsible for managing a team, planning and utilising resources and delivering plans to achieve projects and goals.
If you have just stepped into your first management job, or have been working in a leadership role for some time but are looking to learn new management approaches, this apprenticeship could be ideal for you.
You will develop and enhance your leadership skills to lead and direct teams in achieving goals and defined outcomes. You will learn how to:
- Support, manage and develop team members
- Mange projects
- Plan and monitor workloads and resources
- Deliver operational plans
- Resolve problems
- Build relationships internally and externally
Throughout this apprenticeship you will also achieve an ILM Level 3 Diploma for Managers.
This apprenticeship consists of:
- The required knowledge, skills and behaviours to effectively manage people and deliver results
- End Point Assessment to demonstrate the standard is achieved
- ILM Level 3 Diploma for Managers
- Functional Skills Level 2 in Maths, English unless exempt
It is important to note that 20% of your working time must be spent undertaking ‘off-the-job guided learning hours’. This may, for example, be by online learning, guided study or undertaking projects related to your workplace to gather evidence for your portfolio.
Knowledge and skills
You will look at:
- Leading and managing people – building a high performing and motivated team and understanding the plethora of HR and legal requirements.
- Building relationships – using negotiation and influencing skills and building trust across a team
- Communication – across a variety of platforms and levels
- Operational Management – translating organisational strategy into actions for a team
- Project Management – managing resources and monitoring progress to ensure successful project delivery
- Finance – understanding organisational governance and compliance, and working with budgets to ensure efficiencies
- Awareness and managing of self – organisation of workload and reflecting on own performance
- Decision Making – using problem solving techniques and analysing data to inform decision making processes
You will look at:
- Responsibility – managing different situations and being accountable
- Inclusivity – being open and building trust
- Agility – Being flexible, enterprising and adaptable to change
- Professionalism – setting an example and operating within set values
End Point Assessment
Throughout your apprenticeship you will have access to online materials using our Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) and you will complete an online portfolio. Once you and your employer agree you are ready you will undertake your End Point Assessment which will be taken by an independent assessor. This consists of the following:
- Assessment of your knowledge through a test using scenarios, questions and responses
- Assessment of your competency through competency based interview
- Assessment of your portfolio of evidence
- Continuing Professional Development Log reviewed and professional discussion/question and answer session
For the ILM Level 3 Diploma for Managers you will be assessed using a variety of methods including written assignments, on-screen knowledge tests and development of a portfolio which will also contribute towards your End Point Assessment.
Ideally, you should have 5 GCSEs at grades C/4 or above including English Language and Mathematics.
If you have a level 3 (or above) qualification in a similar subject you may not be able to undertake this apprenticeship, in which case you may wish to undertake the ILM Level 3 Certificate in Leadership and Management.
Apprenticeship fees are payable by the employer. Prior to commencing the course an invoice will be issued for the total course fee.
If you have not achieved your qualification by the planned end date detailed in your individual learning plan, your employer will be able to pay monthly direct debit payments to allow you to continue to receive support and access to your course until certification of your award.
The way apprenticeships are funded, and paid for, has now changed. Employers should take note of the fees that are applicable to their organisation. As an employer you will either be an Apprenticeship Levy Payer (employers with over a £3 million pay bill) or Non-Levy Payers (employers with less than a £3 million pay bill).
If you take on an apprentice under 19 years of age, you will receive a £1,000 incentive from the government towards the training fees! In addition, if your organisation has less than 50 contracted employees the course fees will be fully funded!
Course fees for Apprenticeship Levy Payers
Digital account payment – £5,000
Course fees for Non-Levy Payers
Course fees for Non-Levy Payers are paid via co-investment with the government, meaning that the government provides 90% of funding towards course fees. The remaining fees that are payable by the employer are £500 which can be paid in one of the following ways:
|£500||£125 every three months||£42 per month|
Before making any financial decision it is recommended that you seek advice from an independent source, for example the Money Advice Service.
These are current figures and may be subject to change. The differences in course fees reflect the level of funding that is available as a result of government policies and priorities. These may be as a result of age, employment status, previous education achievements, or location for example, and are outside the control of The College of Animal Welfare.
If you are not currently working in a leadership or managerial role and this is something you aspire to do, this qualification will increase your chances of securing such a position.
As this is a new apprenticeship standard we do not have any testimonials available yet but hopefully we will have some soon!