City & Guilds Level 1 Functional Skills in English
Subject: Maths and English School
Functional Skills are ideal for those team members who wish to improve their skills in the workplace or are looking to enrol onto a higher level programme.
- Attendance: No college attendance is required. Course materials will be provided along with telephone and email support from an allocated Distance Learning Tutor. All resources, support and assessment will be provided online via our Virtual Learning Environment (VLE). Attendance will be required at a CAW centre to complete the online examination. It may be possible in some instances, to undertake the examination at an external City & Guilds exam centre. In such cases where this is possible additional exam fees may be incurred.
- Duration: Six months
- Start date: Any time during the year.
- Location: This online distance learning programme can be studied anywhere in the UK.
There are no formal academic entry requirements for this course.
This qualification looks at the following:
Speaking, listening and communication
- Including formal and informal discussions and exchanges that include unfamiliar subjects
- Read and understand a range of straightforward texts
- Write a range of texts to communicate information, ideas and opinions, using formats and styles suitable for their purpose and audience
Two practical assessments and two online examinations are required. Attendance at a City & Guilds examination centre is needed to complete the online examination.
Course fees can either be paid in full before the beginning of the course, on an annual basis, or via our ‘Pay As You Learn’ monthly payment scheme
If your employee has not achieved your qualification by the planned end date detailed in their individual learning plan, continued support and course access is available by paying monthly direct debit payments until certification is achieved.
|Full Fee||Pay As You Learn|
|£724||£121 per month|
Awarding Body Fees*
City & Guilds fees: £32
* Awarding Body Fees are payable by all students or employers and recharged at cost and may be subject to change.
Before making any financial decision it is recommended that you seek advice from an independent source, for example the Money Advice Service.
These are current figures and may be subject to change. The differences in course fees reflect the level of funding that is available as a result of government policies and priorities. These may be as a result of age, employment status, previous education achievements, or location for example, and are outside the control of CAW Business School.
Achieving this qualification will increase your employees confidence and motivation. The key skills gained will be valuable in the workplace or in any further learning.
Functional Skills form a vital part of all apprenticeship frameworks in England and can, in some cases, be used to progress onto high level programmes of study. Once this qualification is completed you may wish to support your team member to progress onto the Functional Skills English level 2 qualification or to undertake a Functional Skills qualification in maths.
What our Business School students say:
“I have enjoyed learning new skills and applying some of these to my current job”
“The tutors are very helpful and supportive and provide me with regular reviews on my progress”
“The course fits around my everyday work making this easy to complete”
“The tutors are extremely helpful and always manage to find time to provide support and answer any queries”