City & Guilds Level 1 Functional Skills in English
Subject: Maths and English School
Functional Skills are ideal if you wish to get ahead and up skill for progression in the workplace or prior to enrolling onto a higher level programme.
You will learn English and communication skills required in everyday life, education and work.
- Attendance: No college attendance is required. Course materials will be provided along with telephone and email support from an allocated Distance Learning Tutor. All resources, support and assessment will be provided online via our Virtual Learning Environment (VLE). Attendance will be required at a CAW centre to complete the online examination. It may be possible in some instances, to undertake the examination at an external City & Guilds exam centre. In such cases where this is possible additional exam fees may be incurred.
- Duration: Six months
- Start date: Any time during the year.
- Location: This online distance learning programme can be studied anywhere in the UK.
There are no formal academic entry requirements for this course.
This qualification looks at the following:
Speaking, listening and communication
- Including formal and informal discussions and exchanges that include unfamiliar subjects
- Read and understand a range of straightforward texts
- Write a range of texts to communicate information, ideas and opinions, using formats and styles suitable for their purpose and audience
Two practical assessments and two online examinations are required. Attendance at a City & Guilds examination centre is needed to complete the online examination.
Course fees can either be paid in full before the beginning of the course, on an annual basis, or via our ‘Pay As You Learn’ monthly payment scheme
If you have not achieved your qualification by the planned end date detailed in your individual learning plan, continued support and course access is available by paying monthly direct debit payments until certification is achieved.
|Full Fee||Pay As You Learn|
|£724||£121 per month|
Awarding Body Fees*
City & Guilds fees: £32
* Awarding Body Fees are payable by all students or employers and recharged at cost and may be subject to change.
Sources of financial help can be found on our student finance page. Before making any financial decision it is recommended that you seek advice from an independent source, for example the Money Advice Service.
These are current figures and may be subject to change. The differences in course fees reflect the level of funding that is available as a result of government policies and priorities. These may be as a result of age, employment status, previous education achievements, or location for example, and are outside the control of CAW Business School.
Achieving this qualification will increase your confidence and motivation. The key skills you gain will be valuable in the workplace or in any further learning.
Professionally, undertaking a qualification that demonstrates English and communication skills to employers can give you a competitive edge in the jobs market, meaning that more jobs and opportunities for promotion may become available to you.
Functional Skills form a vital part of all apprenticeship frameworks in England and can, in some cases, be used to progress onto high level programmes of study. Once you have completed this qualification you may wish to progress onto the Functional Skills English level 2 qualification.
After you complete your studies with CAW Business School, you will be invited to join our alumni association, CAW Connect. CAW Connect is a social networking website and education hub which gives you the opportunity to connect with other alumni, enjoy industry discounts, make use of exclusive careers advice and resources, find new job opportunities and keep up-to-date with the latest industry news. Find out more about CAW Connect
What our Business School students say:
“I have enjoyed learning new skills and applying some of these to my current job”
“The tutors are very helpful and supportive and provide me with regular reviews on my progress”
“The course fits around my everyday work making this easy to complete”
“The tutors are extremely helpful and always manage to find time to provide support and answer any queries”