- 14-16 months
- Attend college one morning a week during term times (Mondays; 9.15am-1pm)
- Start date: 11 September 2017
- Monthly payment options
- Non-apprenticeship option available
Get your career in accounting started!
This apprenticeship is ideal for those new to finance looking to expand their knowledge and skills and is the foundation level of the internationally recognised AAT Accounting Technician qualification. You will learn a range of basic accounting principles and techniques, from costing and double-entry bookkeeping to computerised accounting.
As an accounting apprentice, you will be employed in a finance role gaining vital practical skills and experience, and earning a wage alongside studying your formal apprenticeship qualification.
You will attend college for one morning a week during term time. Outside of the classroom you will be learning on-the-job gaining valuable accounting and employment skills in a real life setting.
Benefits to employers
- Grow your business: Affordable way to expand and develop your business
- Cost effective: Provide valuable opportunities whilst minimising recruitment and training costs
- Enhanced reputation: Maximise customer experience and loyalty
- Increased productivity: Increase staff efficiency though the development of knowledge and skills
CAW Business School has a well-earned reputation for excellence; delivering quality training and education and employer support. Your apprentice will benefit from:
- Tuition, support and assessment provided in college, online and via email and telephone contact
- Access to our unique Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) and extensive eLibrary resources
* Any employer taking on an apprentice under 19 years of age, will receive an incentive of £1,000. £500 will be paid to you after the first three months of the apprenticeship and the remaining £500 after the first year on programme.*
Employers with less than 50 employees
If you take on an apprentice under 19 years of age (or 19-24 years who has an EHC plan or who has been in the care of their local authority), the apprentices training will be fully funded.
This apprenticeship consists of:
- AAT Level 2 Foundation Certificate in Accounting
- Functional Skills Level 1 in Maths and English
- Personal Learning and Thinking Skills
- CFA Employment Rights and Responsibilities Workbook
AAT Level 2 Foundation Certificate in Accounting
This course offers a combination of classroom lessons, regular tutorial support and online study. You will undertake the following five units:
- Principles and procedures related to processing business transactions, financial documents and payments for customers and suppliers.
- Developing skills in processing ledger transactions and preparing an initial trial balance.
- Maintenance and reconciliation of a cash book by accurately entering receipts and payments, balancing and reconciling with bank statements.
- Knowledge and understanding of the UK banking system and related organisational activities.
- Petty cash transactions and the importance of the Journal as a primary accounting record.
- Maintaining control over debtors and creditors, aided by preparation and use of debtor and creditor control accounts.
- Non-standard bookkeeping transactions and double-entry bookkeeping records.
Work Effectively in Finance
- Developing transferable skills and effective working in an accounting environment.
- Teamwork skills and the ability to work independently.
- Demonstrating workplace-ready standards of literacy and numeracy.
Elements of Costing
- Cost recording systems within an organisation and how best to respond to requests for information relating to costs and expenditure.
- Recording and extracting information, and using a costing system to provide information for management.
Using Accounting Software
- Selecting and using computerised accounting or bookkeeping software to input and process data for orders, invoices, receipts and payments.
- Preparing management and period-end reports.
You will undertake computer-based exams or projects. As an AAT accredited exam centre you will be able to take your exams at college without the need to travel to an external exam centre.
You will undertake Level 1 Functional Skills in English and Maths unless exempt. These are assessed via online examinations and practical assessments.
There are no formal academic entry requirements however you should be competent in basic maths and English. You will need to be living and working in England in a suitable finance role that involves regular contact with clients, earning at least the National Minimum Wage for Apprentices. To complete this apprenticeship within 14-16 months you will need to be working for a minimum of 30 hours per week, if you are working less than 30 hours a week the length of your apprenticeship will be extended depending on your working hours.
If you have a level 4 (or above) qualification, from May 2017 you are now still able to undertake this apprenticeship if your current qualification is in an unrelated subject. If your existing qualification is in a similar subject you will not be able to undertake this apprenticeship, in which case you may wish to undertake the AAT Level 2 Foundation Certificate in Accounting as a standalone qualification.
Apprenticeship fees are payable by the employer. We offer two different payment options; our ‘Annual Fee Scheme’ or our ‘Pay as You Learn’ monthly payment scheme. Details on both of these payment options can be found here.
Sources of financial help if you require support during your studies can be found on our student finance page. Before making any financial decision it is recommended that you seek advice from an independent source, for example the Money Advice Service.
Please note that course fees listed below apply to courses starting before the 1 May 2017. Fees for courses starting on, or after, 1 May 2017 will be published in due course.
|Age at start of course||Annual Fee Scheme (?)||Pay as You Learn Scheme (?)|
|16-18||No fees payable||No fees payable|
|19-23||£899 per year payable by employer||£77 per month|
|24+||£959 per year payable by employer||£81 per month|
In addition to course fees you will be required to pay for AAT membership, exam fees (approximately £205)* and textbooks. If you are fully funded, your exam fees will be refunded upon successful completion of term 1.
Fees listed are current figures and may be subject to change. Course fees reflect the level of funding that is available as a result of government policies and priorities. These may be the result of age, employment status, previous education achievements or location for example, and are outside the control of CAW Business School.
* Awarding Body Fees are recharged at cost and may be subject to change; these are payable in full prior to the commencement of the course and are non-refundable.
On completion of this apprenticeship, the majority of learners choose to continue their journey towards becoming an AAT qualified Accounting Technician by undertaking the Level 3 Advanced Apprenticeship in Accounting programme.
What our AAT students say…
We asked our students what aspects of their course they have most enjoyed. Here are some of the things they had to say!
“Learning new skills, socialising with people within a similar field of work and with similar goals”
“I have really enjoyed the classes and follow up activities for homework. The resources are very good”
“Manageable sections. Broken down so not overloaded with information”
“Good tutor making a hard subject easy to understand with good examples”