Health and Fitness Tip of the Month: Breast Cancer Awareness
Posted: 2 October 2018 at 12:58 pm | Author: Lauren Daws
Around one in eight women in the UK will develop breast cancer at some point in their life. This shocking statistic needs to be discussed. That’s why this breast cancer awareness month we’ll be wearing it pink, will you?
Checking your breasts
It’s important to check your breasts regularly so that you can spot if there’s any changes*. Everyone is different so your normal might be different to someone else’s, but here are a few symptoms it’s important for you to look out for:
- Changes in shape or size
- Change in skin texture or colour
- Change in nipples (one might become inverted when it usually isn’t)
- Nipple discharge
- Rash or crusting
*Remember to check the whole breast area including your upper chest and armpits!
Breast cancer in men
While it’s very rare, it is possible for men to develop breast cancer. It usually occurs in men over the age of sixty, however on very rare occasions it can affect younger men. The symptoms of breast cancer in men is the same as those in women.
Breast Cancer Awareness Month have a number of challenges and fundraising events you can get involved in to help raise money and awareness. These include:
- Sponsored runs, walks, cycles or swims
- Sponsored skydive
- Tough mudder challenge
- Organise your own fundraising event, or take part in one organised by Breast cancer Awareness Month.
Wear it pink!
Wear it pink is Breast Cancer Awareness Month’s biggest fundraising event, and as the title states, it involves wearing pink! Thousands of people from across the UK will all be wearing pink and raising money for breast cancer awareness on 19 October 2018. So make sure you get involved by registering online at https://goo.gl/2zXaip.
For more Health and Fitness tips, take a look at last month’s blog post.
- Study AAT online: Begin your career in finance with our flexible, online accounting & bookkeeping courses!
- Huge reduction in cost for the new Level 2 Accounts/Finance Assistant Apprenticeship Standard – Available Now!