Can volunteering put you ahead of other candidates when applying for jobs?
Posted: 5 December 2018 at 2:44 pm | Author: Lauren Daws
Are you looking to gain experience in the field of work you’d like to get yourself into? If so, have you considered volunteering? Not just will you gain valuable knowledge and experience – it can also help you to stand out against other candidates when applying for jobs in the future.
What will I gain from volunteering?
- Learn new skills and knowledge – already having knowledge of the industry can make you a more likely choice to an employer.
- Connect with people in the industry – volunteering at a company you would like to work for could mean that if a job vacancy arises, they may be more likely to consider you for the role as you’re familiar to the company.
- Get the opportunity to meet new people – volunteering in the line of work you want to pursue can allow you to make connections within the industry.
- Shows motivation and ambition – spending your spare time volunteering within a company shows employers you’re willing to go the extra mile.
- Experience – if you’re unemployed or still in education, volunteer work can help to fill any employment gaps.
- Stand out against other candidates – having volunteer work on your CV can help you to stand out against other candidates when applying for jobs.
- Gives you an idea of what the industry is like – if you volunteer in the line of work you’d like to get yourself into, you’ll get an idea of whether or not it’s the right career for you.
For more information on how you can get involved in volunteering opportunities within your local community, click here.
- Huge reduction in cost for the new Level 2 Accounts/Finance Assistant Apprenticeship Standard – Available Now!