Three Top Tips for Getting Ahead in 2015
Posted: 8 January 2015 at 1:22 pm | Author: Laura Morris
It’s that time of year again, you’re feeling fat after having too many mince pies and the excitement of Christmas has gone for another year. At this point many people turn their attention to the year ahead. What to do differently? What goals are you setting yourself?
Amongst some of the common resolutions such as ‘I must get fit’ or ‘I must quit smoking’ many choose to focus on their career. Whether you are considering a career change or looking for a promotion there are so many things you can do to get ahead.
One of the key things to remember regardless of what goal you have chosen is to be organised. Ultimately being organised means you get more done.
There is a wide array of tips and tricks to help get organised, but here are a few to get you started:
- Make a to-do list – and stick to it! The key is to break your tasks down to manageable sizes so it is not so daunting.
- Begin with tasks you enjoy – Often getting going is the hardest part, so begin with those tasks that you enjoy more
- Make immediate decisions – When an email comes in, either action it immediately, schedule a time to respond or delete it if it is irrelevant. The same applies to letters or anything else that lands on your desk!
- Avoid multi–tasking – stop doing a little bit of everything, pick one action and complete it before moving onto the next or you will feel like you have been very busy, but you won’t have actually completed anything!
It can be hard to stay motivated once faced with lots to do or when unexpected hurdles come up. However it is important not to let this put you off!
When you feel motivated you can feel like anything is possible. There is always something that will happen that may make it more difficult to achieve your goal, but this doesn’t mean it cannot be achieved at all. Spend some time remembering exactly why you are working towards your chosen goal and visualise what it will feel like when it is achieved.
Be the best you can be
I have always been taught that so long as you do your best that’s all you can do. This is a great motto, but only so long as you have truly done everything you can possibly do to the best of your ability.
It is necessary to be honest with yourself. There is no point telling yourself that you have tried your hardest if this isn’t really the case, this motto is not there to be used as an excuse, it is there to encourage you to ensure that you will do everything you possibly can. Never be afraid to think outside the box or try something new.
Overall it is important to remember that the only person who can help you get ahead within the year ahead is you. If you want to achieve something there is always a way to work towards this.
Want to get ahead this year? Consider taking a qualification to help you reach your goals. Check out CAW Business School to see our range of courses including Business Administration, Customer Service and AAT.
- Huge reduction in cost for the new Level 2 Accounts/Finance Assistant Apprenticeship Standard – Available Now!