Enter your email address to download a prospectus
Awarded by the Association of Accounting Technicians (AAT), the Level 3 Advanced Certificate in Bookkeeping is ideal for those looking to reach the next stage of their bookkeeping career; for instance people who have previously completed the Level 2 Foundation Certificate in Bookkeeping, those who are working in small to medium sized businesses looking to enhance their existing skillset, and more experienced bookkeepers who require an advanced level of skill and knowledge on this subject. The advanced AAT programme covers a range of accounting practices such as double entry bookkeeping, indirect taxation, year-end adjustments and the drafting of financial statements.
As a level 3 qualified AAT Bookkeeper you may apply for professional status and use the designatory letters AATQB after their name. This indicates the highest standards of professional conduct and up to date technical knowledge.
Attendance: Half Day Release (Tuesday mornings: 9.15am-1pm) or Evening course (Wednesday evenings: 5.30pm-8.30pm).
Duration: Five months
Next start date: September 2019
Location: Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire
Membership of AAT
As a student on this programme you will need to register as a student with the AAT. Your AAT membership will give you access to extensive e-learning resources, forums, networking opportunities and practice assessments. You can register online at www.aat.org.uk.
This AAT course offers a combination of classroom lessons, regular tutorial support and online study. Over the course of the AAT qualification you will undertake three units and three assessments. The breakdown of each unit is listed below:
- Preparation of final accounts for sole traders, developing your understanding of accounting systems and the environment and principles under which organisations operate.
- Accounting adjustments and accounting for fixed assets.
- Understanding current VAT regulations and building your knowledge of VAT registration requirements, different VAT scheme available, penalties for non-compliance and the different types of classification of supplies.
- Performing the calculations needed to complete a VAT return.
- Submitting completed documentation in a timely manner while maintaining an effective working relationship with the relevant tax authority.
Final Accounts Preparation
- Legal requirements and preparation of partnership accounts, showing division of profits after adjusting for interest on capital, interest on drawings and any salaries due to each partner.
- Preparation of final accounts for partnerships and developing skills in restructuring accounting information.
- Preparing final accounts for sole traders, including the accounting treatment required to incorporate accruals and prepayments, provision for depreciation, irrecoverable debts and allowance for doubtful debts.
Course assessment consists of computer based exams or projects. As an AAT accredited exam centre you will be able to take your exams at College without the need to travel to an external exam centre.
There are no formal academic entry requirements to undertake the AAT Level 3 Advanced Certificate in Bookkeeping; however you should be competent in manual double-entry bookkeeping and have basic maths and English skills. If you have no former bookkeeping experience you may be advised to undertake the AAT Level 2 Certificate in Bookkeeping qualification prior to enrolling on this course. Please contact us if you wish to discuss which course is the most suitable for you individual circumstances.
Course fees can either be paid in full before the beginning of the course, or via our ‘Pay As You Learn’ monthly payment scheme
If you have not achieved your AAT qualification by the planned end date detailed in your individual learning plan, you will be able to continue to receive support and access to your course by paying monthly direct debit payments until certification of your award.
|Full Fee||Pay As You Learn|
|£1,049||£210 per month|
Awarding Body Fees*
You will also be required to pay AAT membership, exam fees (approximately £129*) and textbooks.
* Awarding Body Fees are payable by all students or employers and recharged at cost and may be subject to change.
Sources of financial help can be found on our student finance page. Before making any financial decision it is recommended that you seek advice from an independent source, for example the Money Advice Service.
These are current figures and may be subject to change. The differences in AAT course fees reflect the level of funding that is available as a result of government policies and priorities. These may be as a result of age, employment status, previous education achievements, or location for example, and are outside the control of CAW Business School.
On completion of this Level 3 bookkeeping course, many students choose to continue their studies by pursing a related qualification, such as the AAT Level 3 Advanced Diploma in Accounting, in order to build upon their existing skillset and gain more understanding of the business environment. Your Level 3 Bookkeeping qualification will give you exemptions from certain modules within this.
New for 2016, as a level 3 qualified AAT Bookkeeper you may apply for professional status and use the designatory letters AATQB after their name. This indicates the highest standards of professional conduct and up to date technical knowledge.
A formal qualification in bookkeeping produces fantastic career prospects, as the ability to record and manage financial activity is relevant across a wide range of industries. For example, there are opportunities to work as an assistant accountant, accounts payable clerk, or credit controller; or pursue more specialist roles within the larger finance departments of bigger organisations. You could even use your new found skills to set up your own business.
What our AAT students say…
We asked our students what aspects of their AAT course they have most enjoyed. Here are some of the things they had to say!
- “Learning new skills, socialising with people within a similar field of work and with similar goals”
- “I have really enjoyed the classes and follow up activities for homework. The resources are very good”
- “Manageable sections. Broken down so not overloaded with information”
- “Good tutor making a hard subject easy to understand with good examples”