Enter your email address to download a prospectus
Awarded by the Association of Accounting Technicians (AAT), the AAT Level 3 Advanced Diploma in Accounting is the intermediate level of the internationally recognised AAT qualification.
This course is ideal if you have completed the AAT Level 2 Foundation Certificate in Accounting or are competent in manual double-entry bookkeeping and want to further develop your accounting skills. You will learn a range of complex accounting tasks such as maintaining cost accounting records and the preparation of income statements, reports and returns.
The AAT accounting qualification is respected by employers around the world, providing you with excellent career prospects.
- Attendance: Half Day Release (Tuesday mornings: 9.15am-1pm) or Evening course (Wednesday evenings: 5.30pm-8.30pm).
- Duration: 12 months
- Next start date: Tuesday 10 September and Wednesday 11 September 2019
- Location: Godmanchester, Huntingdon (Cambridgeshire)
Membership of AAT
As a student on this programme you will need to register as a student member with the AAT. You can register online at www.aat.org.uk. Your AAT membership will give you access to extensive e-learning resources, forums, networking opportunities and practice assessments.
The Level 3 Accounting course offers a combination of classroom lessons, regular tutorial support and online study.
You will look at the following six units:
- Preparation of final accounts for sole traders, developing your understanding of accounting systems and the environment and principles under which organisations operate.
- Accounting adjustments and accounting for fixed assets.
Final Accounts Preparation
- Legal requirements and preparation of partnership accounts, showing division of profits after adjusting for interest on capital, interest on drawings and any salaries due to each partner.
- Preparation of final accounts for partnerships and developing skills in restructuring accounting information.
- Preparing final accounts for sole traders, including the accounting treatment required to incorporate accruals and prepayments, provision for depreciation, irrecoverable debts and allowance for doubtful debts.
Management Accounting Costing
- Identifying why cost accounting is an important tool for an organisation.
- Different approaches to cost accounting and making informed and reasoned judgements to guide management and help decision making.
- Understanding current VAT regulations and building your knowledge of VAT registration requirements, different VAT schemes available, penalties for non-compliance and the different types of classification of supplies.
- Performing the calculations needed to complete a VAT return.
- Submitting completed documentation in a timely manner while maintaining an effective working relationship with the relevant tax authority.
Spreadsheets for Accounting
- How to use software for recording data in rows and columns, perform calculations with numerical data and present information using charts and graphs.
Ethics for Accounting
- Importance of ethical duties and how to work within the code to ensure that the public can gain confidence in accounting practices or functions.
- Protecting your organisation’s professional reputation and integrity.
You will undertake computer based exams or projects. As an AAT accredited exam centre you will be able to take your exams at College without the need to travel to an external exam centre.
You should be competent in manual double-entry bookkeeping as well as having basic maths and English skills to undertake the AAT Level 3 Advanced Diploma in Accounting.
Course fees can either be paid in full before the beginning of the course, or via our ‘Pay As You Learn’ monthly payment scheme
If you have not achieved your AAT qualification by the planned end date detailed in your individual learning plan, you will be able to continue to receive support and access to your course by paying monthly direct debit payments until certification of your award.
|Full Fee||Pay As You Learn|
|£2,086||£174 per month|
If you are over 19 years of age you may be entitled to apply for an Advanced Learner Loan to help fund your studies! (England only)
Awarding Body Fees*
You will be required to pay AAT membership, exam fees (approximately £222*)and textbooks.
* Awarding Body Fees are payable by all students or employers and recharged at cost and may be subject to change.
Sources of financial help can be found on our student finance page. Before making any financial decision it is recommended that you seek advice from an independent source, for example the Money Advice Service.
These are current figures and may be subject to change. The differences in AAT course fees reflect the level of funding that is available as a result of government policies and priorities. These may be as a result of age, employment status, previous education achievements, or location for example, and are outside the control of CAW Business School.
After completing the AAT Level 3 Accounting qualification, you will have the opportunity to apply for the AAT Level 4 Professional Diploma in Accounting course.
The Level 3 AAT qualification will allow you to work in a variety of roles, such as:
- Assistant Accountant
- Accounts Payable Clerk
- Credit Controller
After you complete your studies with CAW Business School, you will be invited to join our alumni association, CAW Connect. CAW Connect is a social networking website and education hub which gives you the opportunity to connect with other alumni, enjoy industry discounts, make use of exclusive careers advice and resources, find new job opportunities and keep up-to-date with the latest industry news. Find out more about CAW Connect
What our AAT students say…
We asked our students what aspects of their AAT course they have most enjoyed. Here are some of the things they had to say!
- “Learning new skills, socialising with people within a similar field of work and with similar goals”
- “I have really enjoyed the classes and follow up activities for homework. The resources are very good”
- “Manageable sections. Broken down so not overloaded with information”
- “Good tutor making a hard subject easy to understand with good examples”
“I like the way that the lecturer enthusiastically links up the theories of accounting with the practical realities / situations that are encountered in the financial working environment. The students on our course are of all ages, from late teens to late fifties, they bring with them a wide range of work and life experiences. Our lecturer is enthusiastic and the lecture room facilities and amenities are good. The lectures are backed up by a comprehensive on-line Virtual Learning Environment (VLE)”. John Coslett AAT Level 3 Diploma in Accounting