Health and Fitness Tip of the Month: The Benefits of Meditation
Posted: 12 April 2018 at 2:18 pm | Author: Lauren Daws
Why is meditation important?
We have all heard that meditation reduces stress, however doctors are now suggesting that it can help improve creativity, improve sleep, decrease anxiety, depression, eating disorders, and even addiction.
So how do we meditate?
- First, find a comfortable place where you can sit without distractions for at least 2 minutes and build up to 15 minutes.
- Sit comfortably with your back upright with head up. (Imagine your head is being pulled up to the sky)
- Close your eyes and focus within.
- Focus your attention on any one of the following.
- You can focus your attention on your breath and breathing. There is no need to regulate this. Let it be natural.
- You can repeat a positive statement about yourself and life.
- If you do use a statement to focus on, try to feel what it means to you.
- You can focus on your heartbeat.
- You can use any other method with which you feel comfortable.
- If you notice your mind drifting off onto other thoughts or stories, just bring your focus back to the technique you are using to focus on.
- Once you have finished meditating, it is a good idea to give yourself a few minutes to adjust back into the activities of your day.
You are encouraged to meditate ideally at the same time every day. Most people will choose early in the morning or late at night. It does not matter when you meditate, as long as you can devote a period of time to your practice without being disturbed. Don’t worry there is no perfect way to meditate. Just be pleased that you are doing it. Meditation is not always easy or even peaceful however it can have amazing benefits.
Click here to find out more about the best ways to meditate!
- Study AAT online: Begin your career in finance with our flexible, online accounting & bookkeeping courses!
- Huge reduction in cost for the new Level 2 Accounts/Finance Assistant Apprenticeship Standard – Available Now!