Health and Fitness Tip of the Month: Sleep
Posted: 3 September 2018 at 10:33 am | Author: Lauren Daws
Having trouble getting to sleep?
There are various things which could be stopping you from getting the rest you need. So, take a look at these tips that could help you get to sleep easier!
Go to bed at around the same time each day
Having a routine can make it easier for you to get to sleep because your body will become used to going to sleep at that time.
Make sure to relax right before you go to bed. For example, you could have a warm bath or read a book.
Avoid using your phone or watching TV
Going on your phone or tablet can contribute to keeping you up at night. This is because they emit blue light, which is the same type of light that helps to tell our brain when it’s the morning and time to wake up. So you can see why this might stop you from sleeping…
Feel tired all the time?
According to the NHS, the most common causes of tiredness are psychological. So, if you have a lot on your mind, the quality of your sleep won’t be as good.
Some of the psychological causes that can stop you from getting enough rest are:
How can lifestyle impact your sleep?
Many people now have increasingly demanding work lives, meaning often stress continues even after workers leave the office. After work there are still things such as household chores, food preparation and children to take care of. Always being on the go and trying to fit too many things in our day-to-day lives can impact our sleep.
A few of the lifestyle choices which can impact your sleep are:
- Alcohol – drinking alcohol before going to bed can affect the quality of your sleep and cause you to wake up at several points during the night.
- Caffeine – caffeine is a stimulant that can keep you awake if consumed before going to sleep.
- Sleeping during the day – this can reduce the quality of sleep you get at night.
For more Health and Fitness tips, take a look at last month’s blog post.
- Study AAT online: Begin your career in finance with our flexible, online accounting & bookkeeping courses!
- Huge reduction in cost for the new Level 2 Accounts/Finance Assistant Apprenticeship Standard – Available Now!