AAT Level 3 Advanced Diploma in Accounting
Subject: Accounting & Bookkeeping
Awarded by the Association of Accounting Technicians (AAT), the AAT Level 3 Advanced Diploma in Accounting is the intermediate level of the internationally recognised AAT qualification.
This course is ideal if you have completed the AAT Level 2 Foundation Certificate in Accounting or are competent in manual double-entry bookkeeping and want to further develop your accounting skills. You will learn a range of complex accounting tasks such as maintaining cost accounting records and the preparation of income statements, reports and returns.
The AAT accounting qualification is respected by employers around the world, providing you with excellent career prospects.
As a student on this programme you will need to register as a student member with the AAT. You can register online at www.aat.org.uk. Your AAT membership will give you access to extensive e-learning resources, forums, networking opportunities and practice assessments.
- Attendance: Half Day Release (9.15am-1pm and 9.15am - 12.45pm) or Evening Course (5.30pm-8.30pm) or Distance Learning (No college attendance, start at any time)
- Duration: 12 months
- Next start dates: September 2020
- North London: Half day release - Mondays: 9.15 – 12.45pm
- Godmanchester: Half day release - Tuesday mornings: 9.15am-1pm. Evening course - Wednesdays: 5.30pm-8.30pm
Whilst there are no formal academic entry requirements to undertake the AAT Level 3 Advanced Diploma in Accounting, competency in manual double-entry bookkeeping as well basic maths and English skills are necessary.
This bookkeeping qualification offers a combination of classroom lessons, regular tutorial support and online study.
The following six units will be studied:
- Preparation of final accounts for sole traders, developing your understanding of accounting systems and the environment and principles under which organisations operate.
- Accounting adjustments and accounting for fixed assets.
Final Accounts Preparation
- Legal requirements and preparation of partnership accounts, showing division of profits after adjusting for interest on capital, interest on drawings and any salaries due to each partner.
- Preparation of final accounts for partnerships and developing skills in restructuring accounting information.
- Preparing final accounts for sole traders, including the accounting treatment required to incorporate accruals and prepayments, provision for depreciation, irrecoverable debts and allowance for doubtful debts.
Management Accounting Costing
- Identifying why cost accounting is an important tool for an organisation.
- Different approaches to cost accounting and making informed and reasoned judgements to guide management and help decision making.
- Understanding current VAT regulations and building your knowledge of VAT registration requirements, different VAT schemes available, penalties for non-compliance and the different types of classification of supplies.
- Performing the calculations needed to complete a VAT return.
- Submitting completed documentation in a timely manner while maintaining an effective working relationship with the relevant tax authority.
Spreadsheets for Accounting
- How to use software for recording data in rows and columns, perform calculations with numerical data and present information using charts and graphs.
Ethics for Accounting
- Importance of ethical duties and how to work within the code to ensure that the public can gain confidence in accounting practices or functions.
- Protecting your organisation’s professional reputation and integrity.
Computer based exams or projects will be undertaken. As we are an AAT accredited exam centre these exams can be taken at College without the need to travel to an external exam centre.
Course fees can either be paid in full before the beginning of the course, on an annual basis, or via our ‘Pay As You Learn’ monthly payment scheme
If you have not achieved your qualification by the planned end date detailed in your individual learning plan, continued support and course access is available by paying monthly direct debit payments until certification is achieved.
|Full Fee||Pay As You Learn|
|£2,086||£174 per month|
Awarding Body Fees*
You will also be required to pay AAT membership, exam fees (approximately £222*) and textbooks.
* Awarding Body Fees are payable by all students or employers and recharged at cost and may be subject to change.
Sources of financial help can be found on our student finance page. Before making any financial decision it is recommended that you seek advice from an independent source, for example the Money Advice Service.
These are current figures and may be subject to change. The differences in AAT course fees reflect the level of funding that is available as a result of government policies and priorities. These may be as a result of age, employment status, previous education achievements, or location for example, and are outside the control of CAW Business School.
After completing the AAT Level 3 Accounting qualification, you will have the opportunity to apply for the AAT Level 4 Professional Diploma in Accounting course.
The Level 3 AAT qualification will allow you to work in a variety of roles, such as:
- Assistant Accountant
- Accounts Payable Clerk
- Credit Controller
After you complete your studies with CAW Business School, you will be invited to join our alumni association, CAW Connect. CAW Connect is a social networking website and education hub which gives you the opportunity to connect with other alumni, enjoy industry discounts, make use of exclusive careers advice and resources, find new job opportunities and keep up-to-date with the latest industry news. Find out more about CAW Connect
What our AAT students say…
We asked our students what aspects of their AAT course they have most enjoyed. Here are some of the things they had to say!
- “Learning new skills, socialising with people within a similar field of work and with similar goals”
- “I have really enjoyed the classes and follow up activities for homework. The resources are very good”
- “Manageable sections. Broken down so not overloaded with information”
- “Good tutor making a hard subject easy to understand with good examples”
“I like the way that the lecturer enthusiastically links up the theories of accounting with the practical realities / situations that are encountered in the financial working environment. The students on our course are of all ages, from late teens to late fifties, they bring with them a wide range of work and life experiences. Our lecturer is enthusiastic and the lecture room facilities and amenities are good. The lectures are backed up by a comprehensive on-line Virtual Learning Environment (VLE)”. John Coslett AAT Level 3 Diploma in Accounting